I work on projects that make it easy for normal people to understand their microbiome test results. If you’ve tested yourself with Viome, DayTwo, Zoe, Thryve, Psomagen, uBiome or others, please contact me and I’ll be happy to help you.
Browse or download Personal Science Guide to the Microbiome, my free 300+ page eBook of pretty much everything I know about the microbiome.
My October 2020 review of the new ZOE microbiome-based personalized nutrition app.
The Feed Global Podcast Jun 2020 one hour interview about my latest beliefs.
I also manage Personal Science and the Microbiome on Medium.
Microbiome Labs: How Actionable Are They Today? In the Future?: Podcast interview with Damien Blenkinsopp
Surfing the Microbiome: Interview with Mark Swanson in Naturopathic Doctor News & Review.
“So Should I Eat Apples or Not?" My review of the Viome microbiome gut test.
“When a Double-Chocolate Brownie is Better for You Than Quinoa” My review of the new DayTwo microbiome testing app. Published by NEO.LIFE
Fusicatenibacter Is Associated With Kefir Drinking My preprint academic paper, submitted to peer review, about a microbe association I discovered in a self-experiment.
How does kombucha affect the microbiome Tracking my microbiome while drinking kombucha.
Peeking into a Baby Biome: Investigating a baby and her mother.
Richard Sprague: "Microbiome Gut Cleanse" from Quantified Self on Vimeo.
My presentation at a Quantified Self meetup in San Francisco 2016.
My Sample Results
Click this expansion arrow for downloadable copies of my tests from top microbiome sequencing companies
Reports I received from common microbiome providers. Study these if you’re curious what results will look like, or if you’d like to compare yours to mine.
Zoe New app from https://joinzoe.com/
Microba Australia-based, now available for clinicians in the US
Elsavie Center of Food and Fermentation Technologies (TFTAK) of Estonia
Psomagen GutBiome+ WGS microbiome report from a US-based lab using the Microba engine.
Click this expansion arrow for older items
Most of these are available in final form at https://psm.personalscience.com, but I often post them here first, sometimes along with the detailed source code I used to generate the results.2020
- 2020-06-17 Testing myself for COVID-19
- 2020-06-05 Quick look at Psomagen GutBiome+
- 2020-06-05 New results from Viome
- 2020-03-23 Coronavirus and the microbiome
- 2020-02-21 How effective is the flu vaccine, really?
- 2020-01-29 Nature Outlook special microbiome issue
- 2020-01-09 Microbiome testing with Psomagen
- 2019-10-12 Viome and DayTwo Updates
- 2019-06-27 Viome Presentation at Personalized Nutrition Summit
- 2019-06-15 Could my gut microbes change my blood type?
- 2019-06-09 Studying back-to-back microbiome results
- 2018-07-07 Viome and DayTwo Updates
- 2018-06-11 A dictator can’t be too careful
- 2018-06-07 My nose microbiome throughout the seasons
- 2018-06-06 Convert uBiome files to Phyloseq with Actino
- 2018-05-21 Measuring sample variability: uBiome BioRxiv paper
- 2018-05-10 How to think about microbiome diversity
- 2018-05-05 Sonification of the microbiome
- 2018-04-13 An interesting high fiber experiment
- 2018-04-08 Which microbes go with each other?
- 2018-04-02 My Microscopic Fellow Travelers To China
- 2018-03-15 What’s happening to my mouth microbiome?
- 2018-03-06 Sleeping better on a different diet
- 2018-02-24 Watching Microbiome Changes in Mexico
- 2017-12-14 Does kombucha change my microbiome?
- 2017-11-29 Do Probiotics Really Work For Me?
- 2017-11-28 Ochrobactrum Sniffles
- 2017-10-17 Frozen blueberries are better for me
- 2017-10-16 Soylent and my microbiome
- 2017-10-16 Best Academic Papers About the Microbiome
- 2017-10-01 My favorite books about the microbiome
- 2015-05-11 Bacteroides plebeius and me